Skip to main content

Halloween Safety,  Oct 19, 2018

A colorful Halloween safety flyer with tips, a firefighter dog mascot, and a "Did you know?" fact box.

Halloween is a favorite for kids because they can dress up in great costumes, but those costumes tend to be very flammable!  With all the things that may go bump in the night, we want to be sure your child is safe from fire hazards.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, decorations are the first thing to ignite in 900 reported home fires each year. Two of every five of these fires were started by a candle.

To ensure a safe and happy Halloween, keep these tips in mind:

  • Use battery operated lights, not candles, to decorate walkways. Always keep candles, matches and lighters in a place that children cannot reach. This will make it much safer for trick-or-treaters and decrease the chance of an open flame fire.
  • Keep children, costumes and decorations away from open flames and heat sources. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable.
  • Don’t overload extension cords. Indoor and outdoor decorative lights can be fire hazards
  • Use a glowstick or battery operated candle in carved pumpkins.
  • Never leave burning candles unattended.
  • Choose costumes that are comfortable, easy to walk in and see.  Give children flashlights or glow sticks to make them more visible after dark.
  • Pick brightly colored costumes that can be clearly seen by motorists. Add reflective tape to the costume to increase visibility
  • If a costume catches fire, remember to stop, drop and roll.
  • Know where your fire extinguisher is in your home for potential candle fires.
  • Make sure someone in your group has a cell phone in case of emergencies.  Dial 9-1-1 for help.